Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Cults, Cabals and Convocations

I love that the Mythras system gives you a richness, or at least the path to a richness in gameplay that's always closely tied to the world around you.  One of the major gripes I have about other very popular systems is how disconnected the PCs become.  Disconnected from the world, from their own progression and the other players.  


As a GM who loves worldbuilding with my players I wanted a way for them to sink their teeth into that world.  Tanalaeth is a longstanding worldbuilding project I've been adding to, carving away and shaping for over 20 years now.  It has a few clear analogues with real-world cultures from around the end of the Bronze Age onwards.  



This series of Cults, Cabals and Convocations I'll be sharing all come from the world we've built.  There's likely nothing groundbreaking about that world but my hope is that it feels familiar and has some elements you might take inspiration from or include at your table perhaps.  It's fantasy, grounded without being low or high I believe, but tries to keep that connection and respect for verisimilitude.  Cultures need strong groups to bind them and protect them and so we'll explore a few of the options we've developed for our game. 

Raleel has kindly given me some space to explore this with you all so if you'll suffer my experiments and humour me some I hope you find them interesting and maybe even of some use to our table.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Shadowed Claw

 This is a cult I did up for an online game I was in. It is set in the world of Xoth, but it should translate to other settings well. note, ...